Since being back at school though, a LOT of people have been sharing their opinions with me. Once again, as before, people can't believe we're not finding out if you're a boy or a girl. The looks of disbelief, based, I suppose purely on the thought, "but you CAN know, so why would you choose not to," look almost the same on all faces. So I have been doing my best to give people the one little thing I can, which is to say, "I think it's a girl, but we'll see!" 100% of the people who have mentioned the possible sex of this baby to me, have said they think it's a girl. 100%.
This is exactly what happened in Angola when I was pregnant with BSB. We didn't know with her either, but everyone, especially local staff, all said she would be a girl. And there she was! A girl!
So, it's kind of exciting to be hearing the same thing here and now in Laos. Of course, it's funny because one person says, "Oh, I think it's a girl because of how you're carrying." Another says, "Oh, I can tell by your face." At some point, without fail, someone says something to directly contradict what someone else said, as the reason to how we can know it's a girl. But, nonetheless, everyone says it's a girl.
The second thing that people have been sharing their opinion on, is my weight. Yes, the belly is getting big. Even I am starting to feel it- by the end of the day I'm tired, and just want to sit down and put my feet up. The belly is feeling increasingly heavy. But, all that said, my weight has basically gone down by about 5lbs since the beginning of pregnancy, and has stayed steady there ever since. So people keep telling me it looks like my arms and face and overall self is thinner- minus of course, the jutting belly. And it's true. Still doesn't mean that people should be commenting on it. It's not really anyone's business. And although in my case, it's just how it is, what if I was losing weight/not gaining weight for some terrible reason? Would people still feel good "complimenting" me on it, if they knew it was happening at the cost of the baby? I hope not. Just another reminder, that, it's not ever really the right thing to do to comment on someone else's body weight- not even during pregnancy. A simple, "Wow, you look great! Pregnancy suits you!" is easy to say and conveys the message.

No comments:
Post a Comment