Long story short. once over the summer I went to the doctor and had a random blood draw. From that blood draw, I found out my iron levels were fine, my thyroid was functioning fine, but at that moment, my blood sugar levels were WAY high. No good.
The doctor, not my usual care provider, wanted me to come in to do the standard glucose test for pregnancy. I haven't done that test for my last 2 pregnancies because after doing some of my own research, it didn't seem like the best way. Instead, what I have done, is monitored my blood sugar levels on my own, and they have been fine. So, when those high numbers showed up this time, I got my hands on a blood sugar testing kit, and I proceeded to monitor myself for 3 days. Everything came up normal!
But then, I went in for another check up, and I had traces of glucose and protein in my urine, and on top of that, the doctor measured my belly really big that day. Now, fundal measurements are not an exact science, but that day, she got what she got. It all added up to her being pretty worried that I would develop gestational diabetes. I left that day feeling not great. Worried about how to proceed. She wrote me a referral to see a dietician for some tips.
I spent the next few days researching what foods to eat, what to avoid and what to minimize. I did pretty well. I just wished I had more blood sugar testing strips so I could keep a watch on my numbers.
I have now seen the dietician, and gotten a few more tweaks for my diet. I've got more protein powder on the way to start my day with a big protein boost. I've gotten some supplements that should help with blood sugar stabilization as well. Basically, I say no to gestational diabetes. No thank you.
I feel good. And, see? I look good.


No comments:
Post a Comment